Paper 032, Alternative to School-Based Assessment (SBA) – The exam is 2 hours and it is 21% of Total Assessment
Private candidates are required to write Paper 032, an Alternative Paper to the SBA.
The Alternative Paper will assess the candidate’s acquisition of skills in the same areas of the syllabus identified for the SBA.
This paper will consist of a guided critique of three pieces of stimulus material:
1. An excerpt from a recent newspaper article on a topical issue;
2. A cartoon strip or lyrics to a song on the same topical issue;
3. A poem, short story, public speech (extract) on the same issue.
Candidates will answer three compulsory questions.
Two questions will require short answer responses and one question will require the creation of an imaginative piece in response to the theme selected.
Marks will be awarded for content, organization, effective use of language, voice or style; and word choice.
1. Candidates will be required to respond to questions on:
(a) issues raised in the stimulus;
(b) possible impact on the intended audience;
(c) language techniques used.
2. Candidates will be required to respond to questions about oral presentations. Candidates must research and be aware of the characteristic features of oral presentations.
3. Candidates will select ONE of the issues/situations raised in the stimulus and create a personal response to it.
The response can take the form of drama, poetry, prose, lyrics to a song (a satisfactory response should be no more than 2 pages in length).